The Correlation amongst Self-Directed Learning, Personality Traits and Writing Ability

Authors

  • Aristya Dwi Juliani State Islamic Insitute of Palangka Raya, Kalimantan Tengah,, Indonesia
  • Sabarun State Islamic Insitute of Palangka Raya, Kalimantan Tengah, Indonesia
  • Siminto State Islamic Insitute of Palangka Raya, Kalimantan Tengah, Indonesia

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.36597/jellt.v8i1.16167

Abstract

Abstract: Proficiency in writing is an essential requirement for English learners as a second language.   There is a correlation between the ability to effectively organize and structure written words and the diversity of self-directed learning and personality traits exhibited by students.   This study investigated the potential association between Self-Directed Learning, Personality Traits, and Writing Ability.   The study included students enrolled in the English Education department at IAIN Palangka Raya who were taking a course on paragraph writing.   This study employed a correlation design. The reseacher adapted the 25 item Self-Rating Scale of Self-Directed Learning (SRSSDL) designed by Willimson (2007), International Personality Item Pool (IPIP-BFM-25) designed by Akhtar and Azwar (2019) and students paragraph writing test. Self-Directed Learning (X1) and the Personality Traits (X2) simultaneously had a effect on the Writing Ability (Y). The Coefficient of Determination (R) is 85.0%, indicating that the amount of contribution of X1 and X2 simultaneously. Then the R2 = 0.72% meaning that both variable gave contribution about 72.00%. Effective Contribution (SE) each variable Self-Directed Learning (X1) and Personality Traits (X2) individually is 09.96% and 61.60% to the Writing Ability (Y). The total contribution is 71.56%.

Downloads

Published

2024-05-10

How to Cite

Aristya Dwi Juliani, Sabarun, & Siminto. (2024). The Correlation amongst Self-Directed Learning, Personality Traits and Writing Ability. JELLT (Journal of English Language and Language Teaching), 8(1), 74–85. https://doi.org/10.36597/jellt.v8i1.16167

Issue

Section

Artikel

Citation Check